The First Polish Army was established in the Soviet Union in 1944 and was under the command of the Red Army as part of the First Belorussian Army. It was involved in combat in the northern region of Berlin and advanced as far as the Elbe in 1945. It saw action predominantly in the territories of Kremmen and Fehrbellin across to Friesack and Rhinow up to Sandau an der Elbe.
The grave of the unknown Polish soldiers is located in the cemetery in the Görne district of Görne-Kleßen. It is included on the list of protected monuments in the district of Havelland.
The mortal remains of the soldiers of the First Polish Army who fell in Germany were usually taken directly to Poland, or were taken at a later date once they had been exhumed.
The largest resting place for the soldiers of the First Polish Army is in the so-called Siekierki cemetery, which is in the administrative district of Stare Łysogórki directly across the border on the Oder.
Jacek Barski, September 2020